Monday, May 23, 2011

Extraordinary?

Today, the group I am traveling with from Drake and MUBS were referred to as extraordinary guests. However, I will have to agree with what Dr. McKnight told them, it was them who made us feel extraordinary.

Today began earlier than usual with getting up before 7 am. We were on the bus at 7:45 am and ate breakfast once again at MUBS. My breakfast was once again, toast. However, it was still super delicious. Toast is just as good here, as it is at home ;)

Today when we left MUBS we were headed to City Secondary School. Secondary school is 6 years here, and it is very similar to our middle school and high school years in the United States. When we first got the school we were shocked to discover they had made a sign welcoming us! It made us feel extremely special. We also thought it was slightly funny that they put we were from the United States on the sign.

(this is the sign that greeted us)

Then we started to hear drums. We were so surprised to learn that they were for us! They sent their small marching class out to greet us! It was extremely touching, and I was tearing up.

(the marching band coming to greet us)

After our amazing greeting, we listened to their headmaster tell us about the education system in Uganda. It's definitely a lot more complicated than here in the United States. They have levels 1-6 in secondary school. The first four are done at Ordinary Level (or O Level), and the last 2 are done at O Level or Advanced Level (A Level) depending on how well you perform in O Level. The school we visited only had 20 students in A Level classes. They also write a lot more papers than we do instead of doing regular homework assignments or taking tests for grades. They also take a final exam at the end of each year. This final exam determines if they make it to the next level or not. After their 6th year, this exam determines which colleges they can go to and what they will study. If someone wants to be a pharmacist, but doesn't score well in science and math, pharmacy isn't going to happen for them. The MUBS students have told us it's a lot of pressure, and I'm really glad we don't have it in the United States.

We then got to watch 2 traditional dances, that I got on video. It was extremely amazing to watch since we don't have anything like that back home. I also have realized I'm not nearly as talented at dancing as I thought I was after the 13 years I practiced it. I could never dance and shake/move my hips the way they do, trust me, we all tried here :)

(Preparing to dance. It was amazing!)

Next, was a skit that the performed on HIV/AIDS. It's one of the way that they teach the dangers of the disease. Once again, I have it on video. It was a very good skit, but I felt it might have almost been too light hearted in nature. I want to make sure the students understand the seriousness of the disease, and while I"m glad they are learning about it, I just hope they truly 'get it.'

Following the performances and another speech or two, they allowed us to participate in a art activity they do. It was very similar to tie-dying. But I now have my very only beautiful linen cloth that I dyed myself in Africa :)

(It's going to be in my apartment. I'm proud of it :)

After that is was time for lunch. Lunch consisted of some sort of meat (I'm not sure what kind, and it tasted funny, so I didn't eat much) and rice for me. I could have had more matokee, but it's starting to not taste as good as I originally thought, or maybe I can only take so much of it...

(Lunch today. I was told I don't eat enough because I mainly ate the rice)

During lunch we were divided into groups to give the students opportunities to ask us about ourselves, and us to ask questions of them. They were extremely shy at first, but by the end of lunch they were asking for my address, email address, and phone number. They also wanted their picture taken with us....all of the time. We answered their questions to the best of their abilities, and they usually did the same with us.

(One of MANY pictures of me with the students. They LOVED the cameras!)

We then got a tour of their campus. They have their own mini agricultural system there where they grow maize (corn), plantains (bananas), papaya, and a few other items. They also have cows, pigs, chickens and turkeys on campus as well as a fish pond where they get most of their meat. Yep, I pretty much felt right at home in this area :)

(Yes, this picture was necessary. Got to love the piglets :)

We also got to play them in volleyball. It was a lot of fun, and it took us awhile to adjust to the different rules. They use their feet occasionally! Sadly, we didn't win. However, we did win the 2nd match and the 3rd one we only lost by two. It was definitely a lot of fun!

(Right after shaking their hands for a good game)

Finally, we visited the dormitories that they stay in. It's similar to what I would imagine can be found in an orphanage. It's definitely a lot different from Drake's dormitories. I was really impressed by their sheets though. Instead of making their beds, they fold their sheets in neat patterns!

(The girl's dormitories for levels 1 and 2)

(Someone's sheets in the shape of heart! Super impressive!)

The day at the secondary school ended with them presenting us with a token to remember them by. There 'small' token, was a beautifully engraved trophy!

(This picture doesn't do the trophy justice! It's so pretty!)

We ended the day with a supper that the President of MUBS invited us too. We were extremely late, once again thanks to traffic and the need to change, but it was still pretty good. I had rice, chapatti (similar to a tortilla), and potatoes (though not as good as the one at MUBS). We watched 2 more traditional dances and came back to Red Chili.

The agenda for tomorrow is up in the air, so it's as much a surprise for you as it is for me.

But until then, I leave you with this....

(Eat goats at City Secondary School...and this is what happens to you. Yes, that's a dead cobra. Guess what? Dead cobras STINK! Really, they smell awful!)

No comments: